No matter how much experience you have (or don’t have!), French Bay enthusiastically welcomes all sailors to its fleet.
The main types of dinghies sailed and raced at FBYC are:
- Optimist – for children to 50kg, age 10-15. A very popular boat to learn to sail in that takes you up to world championship level if you are so inclined!
- Starling – for older children and smaller adults from 50kg. A fun boat that gets up and boogies.
- Sunburst – a great versatile wooden boat that is ideal for learning, for both adults and children. Can accommodate one or two people, and be sailed with a spinnaker for those who are more experienced. An iconic New Zealand parent/child class.
- Laser (full rig, radial or 4.7) – a low maintenance fibreglass boat of which there are thousands in NZ. The Laser is sailed at the Olympic Games but is also a fun boat for learning in or sailing at the beach. Full rigged boats are best suited for adults 85+kg, while radial rigs are best for adults 65+kg and 4.7 caters for people 50+kg.
- Jollyboat – a very popular NZ one or two person class, lively and fast with the benefit that it can be sailed in under 15 knots by a solo adult. FBYC is one of the main Jollyboat clubs and if you want to sail with a fleet of class boats, either by yourself or with a child, this is the boat to be in at French Bay.
- Open – whatever you’ve got, bring it along! You’re always welcome.
The club also has four boats that are available for members to use on a first in, first served basis. Come along to sailing days and discuss with the Officer of the Day.